The Hinckley Public Library District strives to provide a gateway to information. By striking a balance between traditional resources and emerging technologies, the library endeavors to enrich our community by creating an environment that supports lifelong learning and enjoyment.
History of the Library
Planning for a library began in 1911 by members of the Hinckley Women’s Club and became a reality when the first board was appointed April 7, 1913. The library was located in the Leifheit building and 300 people attended the initial open house on April 12, 1913.
In 1913 the library had approximately 300 books. Books and funds were solicited from interested residents and donations from various Women’s Clubs of the twelfth district were accepted.
Financial support for the library came from bake sales held twice a year. The taxpayers voted down the opportunity to support the library in 1915 and 1916. A referendum was passed in April of 1963 making Squaw Grove Township Public Library tax supported.
In 1926 the library moved to a rent free room in the upper level of the newly constructed Community Building. In 1993 the library was moved to the present lower level location in order to comply with federal accessibility requirements. An additional room was annexed on to the library in 2013, adding 30% more square footage to the library's space.
A group of volunteer librarians operated the library until April 1964. The library has been served by seven library directors since it has been tax supported beginning with Mrs. Lillian Hartman 1964-1976, Mrs. Helen Fritsch 1976-1988, Mrs. Eve Kirk 1988-1989, Mrs. Shirley Wilhelmsen 1989-2010, Mrs. Genevieve Guran 2010-2011, Ms. Heather Shlah 2011-2012 and Mrs. Rylie Roubal 2012-present.
In 1967 the library became one of the original members of the Northern Illinois Library System which allowed for sharing of resources among libraries.
In 1986 the residents voted to become Squaw Grove Public Library District. At that time the residents of Pierce and Big Rock townships voted not to join the District. The official name of the District was changed to the Hinckley Public Library District in July 2006.